Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Library adventures

Already it appears I've become a bad blogger, considering I haven't written a post since last week. I'll do better, I promise.

Last night was an interesting night, to say the least. Allison and I decided to go the Corvallis Public Library downtown. We both wanted to get library cards, and I had some research that I needed to do for work later in the week. So we hopped on our bikes and rode to the library around 7 or 7:30 PM.

After spending about an hour perusing the library, we decided to pack it up and head home, stacks of books in hand. We checked out (after listening to the very nice Corvallis librarian tell me all about the many benefits of being a library member for a solid ten minutes) and went outside to get on our bikes and leave. We found the bikes, untouched, locked to the bike rack outside. We put our helmets on, chatting about the books we borrowed, chuckling about the kindly library lady, and sighing with contentment as we were about to set off.

Hmm, unfortunately the lock seemed to be, well, a bit stuck. We set the combination a few times, tugged gently, but the lock didn't budge. I decided to pull harder. I began to yank. Suddenly, I was panting heavily, cursing, and making a scene outside of the library desperately trying to undo the lock that enslaved our poor bikes (especially my Trek 5200), while Allison looked on helplessly. Needless to say, I got mad. At this point, I don't remember much, but I decided in my fury to jog/walk the 3 miles home to get the car so I could go to Home Depot and get some bolt cutters, all the while resigned to the fact that my bike was as good as done for at the hands of some clever, but lucky bike thief.

It took me about 45 minutes to get home, carrying my bag loaded with all our books. In the meantime, Allison had gone back inside the library, called the police, and cajoled them into freeing our bikes. She called me to let me know that the lock had been cut just as I walked in the apartment door. I felt a little better, but I was nevertheless irritated about the whole affair.

In all honesty, I didn't really want to blog about this event, but Allison said I should, since we're not cataloging only the good things that happen while we're here. Reflecting on that, I concede that she's right. It's a struggle at times, I suppose, not knowing very many people in Corvallis to bail us out if we're in a bind. But, in retrospect, last night wasn't too bad. Well, ok, maybe I overreacted and didn't think too clearly. At any rate, I'm buying a new lock.


(Click on the picture to see all the agonizing detail in a larger format.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you posted about that! It was highly entertaining to read, though I am sorry about the whole bike thing!

It sounds like you both are taking advantage of your new surroundings! You don't even pay taxes there...YET!

I'll be adding you to my blogroll, once I make a blogroll(on a regular blog I'm making...Allison knows about that whole ordeal). Thanks for the linky in an earlier posty!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks!

I am confused, though - someone reset the combination in order to steal them/be mean? Or the lock just up and broke?

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not really sure...My guess is that the lock was broken. Allison mentioned afterwards (with a hint of sheepishness) that the lock "always was a little sticky."

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home