A new year already
Hi. It's Allison.
And...we're back. I know it's been a while since we last posted, but it's been busy. We left for our respective homesteads on December 23rd, and returned on December 31st. I, for one, had a great time at home - great parties, a wonderful Christmas, and fun times with friends.
We spent New Year's in Concourse E of the Portland airport. We didn't even stop our rush towards the baggage claim when it struck midnight...so much for marking the passage of time. We just wanted to get home and we were looking at a two hour drive home. Plus, once we got my bag, took the bus to the parking lot, and made it to the free way, it was already one AM.
I was starving as we drove back so we stopped in Salem for some McDonalds. I got gross gross coffee to keep me awake for the next hour. Ick.
Anyhow, it's been good since we've been back. Work is going well. My project had two grant applications due that I helped edit, and I met with the principal of a school in the neighborhood we'll be building in. That meeting was awesome.
Oh! And in our first week back, Aaron met with Gerardo and Mira (his girlfriend) and I came with. Mira and I talked for the whole time about food and school (she's a freshman in college) and before we left, they told us how to make real enchilada sauce. So, we attempted it, which involved rehydrating two kinds of dried chilis that I had never heard of, pureeing them with tomatoes and garlic and then smushing the paste through a colander to get the sauce. The result? Sauce that tasted exactly like store-bought enchilada sauce for a lot cheaper. Mmm it was so delicious. Our last attempt from a recipe ended up with a kind of weak tomato sauce. Gross. This new recipe was amazing.
Also that week we watched the Rose Bowl and were very sad. The next weekend we went for a twenty-mile bike ride, which was really nice since we could get outside again. This weekend we went snowshoeing up Mary's Peak. As in literally up - we couldn't drive up the mountain because it was so slippery, so we parked at the base and shoed(?) up the side of the road. Awesome. We probably hiked 7-8 miles total, so that was tiring but sweet. Expect pictures soon.
We're going to be catsitting for Aaron's supervisor's cat while she and her husband go to El Salvador. Besides fuzzy time, this also means free wireless internet and utilities. Yay.
For some reason, our electric and grocery bills have been really high this month. We are cooking and baking more (and, it's cold), so that might have something to do with it, but we're going to try to cut back. I have been riding my bike on the trainer five or six days a week, and we're both doing some strength exercises too, so maybe we're just eating more. Who knows. I went to my first yoga class last week, too - my mom gave me a series of classes for Christmas so I'll be going for the next 10 weeks. I liked it well enough...I feel pretty confident in my yoga practice but want to make sure that I am using the correct positioning and stuff, so it's good to be in a fairly non-strenuous class.
Still no word on my grad school applications. Harvard's dropped down the list, as their admissions offices lost my GRE scores and is making me very, very angry with their unwillingness to help rectify the situation. The short version is this. Me: I sent my scores in November; I have confirmation of this. Put them in my file. Them: your scores are probably in a box somewhere; call us next week and hope they've shown up. Otherwise, tough luck.
Gah. Time is ticking away slowly on this front. I can't wait to get some sort of sign. Preferably acceptances. Aaron's racking up acceptances and money for law school. Not fair!
Anyhow, I should go check on dinner. We're roasting a turkey that we got for cheap around Thanksgiving. Neither of us has ever done this before, so it was a scary proposition. Aaron proved himself, though, by taking out the gross bits inside. Thank you, Aaron. Now it's basting time. See you later.
And...we're back. I know it's been a while since we last posted, but it's been busy. We left for our respective homesteads on December 23rd, and returned on December 31st. I, for one, had a great time at home - great parties, a wonderful Christmas, and fun times with friends.
We spent New Year's in Concourse E of the Portland airport. We didn't even stop our rush towards the baggage claim when it struck midnight...so much for marking the passage of time. We just wanted to get home and we were looking at a two hour drive home. Plus, once we got my bag, took the bus to the parking lot, and made it to the free way, it was already one AM.
I was starving as we drove back so we stopped in Salem for some McDonalds. I got gross gross coffee to keep me awake for the next hour. Ick.
Anyhow, it's been good since we've been back. Work is going well. My project had two grant applications due that I helped edit, and I met with the principal of a school in the neighborhood we'll be building in. That meeting was awesome.
Oh! And in our first week back, Aaron met with Gerardo and Mira (his girlfriend) and I came with. Mira and I talked for the whole time about food and school (she's a freshman in college) and before we left, they told us how to make real enchilada sauce. So, we attempted it, which involved rehydrating two kinds of dried chilis that I had never heard of, pureeing them with tomatoes and garlic and then smushing the paste through a colander to get the sauce. The result? Sauce that tasted exactly like store-bought enchilada sauce for a lot cheaper. Mmm it was so delicious. Our last attempt from a recipe ended up with a kind of weak tomato sauce. Gross. This new recipe was amazing.
Also that week we watched the Rose Bowl and were very sad. The next weekend we went for a twenty-mile bike ride, which was really nice since we could get outside again. This weekend we went snowshoeing up Mary's Peak. As in literally up - we couldn't drive up the mountain because it was so slippery, so we parked at the base and shoed(?) up the side of the road. Awesome. We probably hiked 7-8 miles total, so that was tiring but sweet. Expect pictures soon.
We're going to be catsitting for Aaron's supervisor's cat while she and her husband go to El Salvador. Besides fuzzy time, this also means free wireless internet and utilities. Yay.
For some reason, our electric and grocery bills have been really high this month. We are cooking and baking more (and, it's cold), so that might have something to do with it, but we're going to try to cut back. I have been riding my bike on the trainer five or six days a week, and we're both doing some strength exercises too, so maybe we're just eating more. Who knows. I went to my first yoga class last week, too - my mom gave me a series of classes for Christmas so I'll be going for the next 10 weeks. I liked it well enough...I feel pretty confident in my yoga practice but want to make sure that I am using the correct positioning and stuff, so it's good to be in a fairly non-strenuous class.
Still no word on my grad school applications. Harvard's dropped down the list, as their admissions offices lost my GRE scores and is making me very, very angry with their unwillingness to help rectify the situation. The short version is this. Me: I sent my scores in November; I have confirmation of this. Put them in my file. Them: your scores are probably in a box somewhere; call us next week and hope they've shown up. Otherwise, tough luck.
Gah. Time is ticking away slowly on this front. I can't wait to get some sort of sign. Preferably acceptances. Aaron's racking up acceptances and money for law school. Not fair!
Anyhow, I should go check on dinner. We're roasting a turkey that we got for cheap around Thanksgiving. Neither of us has ever done this before, so it was a scary proposition. Aaron proved himself, though, by taking out the gross bits inside. Thank you, Aaron. Now it's basting time. See you later.

1 Comments:
That's totally stupid of Harvard. But what can you expect from some hick community college/tech school that had to stoop to the level of stealing our high school color/mascot. That's pretty pathetic. I'm surprised such a low-class operation even has a phd program.
Post a Comment
<< Home