Friday, January 19, 2007

Standard vs. Metric

The other night, Aaron and I debated converting to the metric system. For awhile, I agreed with the camp that metric is just more convenient because it's based on tens and is easily converted from one scale to another. However, upon thinking about the practical realities of the metric system, we came up with a list of reasons why standard beats metrics with a one hundred pound, 5 inch diameter, yard-long stick:


* Miles per hour works out very nicely with our current speed limits being approximately one mile per minute. Imagine if you were going 100 km/ hour (approximately 62 mph or something) and saw a sign that said "13 kilometers left". Difficult to figure out how many minutes that is! But with miles, it's easy to estimate the amount of time left.

* There's no good equivalent for a foot. 10 centimeters? Clunky! Useless! Think about how far you'd have to go out into decimals to compare heights. "I'm 1.625 meters." "Well, last I measured I was 1.630 meters, so ha."

* Celcius degrees are too large to be convenient. The Fahrenheit system allows for a much more accurate daily weather/layers prediction.

We had more, but it's five o'clock on a Friday and I'm out of here. Comment with your own!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I can't really argue with any of those.

I probably get more than my share of metric units as it is, anyway...

7:50 PM  
Blogger Jacob said...

100 kph is only 62 mph? That's ridiculous. 100 anythings per hour should be way faster than that. If I'm in the triple-digit speed-zone, I should at least be upping by g's a little.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home