Burny burny
So, tonight Aaron and I had another culinary adventure: Spanish rice.

We've been on a Mexican food kick, so we checked out four or five Mexican cuisine cookbooks last week so that we could try some new recipes. Tonight sounded like a good night for Spanish rice, and Aaron really wanted to try it, so we did. Measured the rice, fried it in oil, pureed tomatoes, garlic, onion, and three serrano peppers together in our (new) blender.

Yes, three serrano peppers.
The book called them "everyday peppers", and one recipe called for 5 of them for 3 cups of uncooked rice, so we figured three smallish ones would work for our recipe of 1.5 cups. We cooked the rice in the mixture, according to the recipe, and then sat down to enjoy our feast. One bite each and we realized that we might have overdone it a bit on the peppers.

It was quite spicy. Like, nose running, gulping milk, throat burny spicy. And both of us generally like spice - buying the hot salsa, pouring on the green sauce at Mexican restaurants. So we kept eating it - slowly. And drank half a gallon of milk between us.

We just opened this at dinner.
So this is a cautionary tale; you can always add more peppers. Once you blend them into goo, it's really hard to take them out. Though I do feel internally cleansed, and my sinuses feel nice and fresh...I think next time we'll only use two.
Oh, Marina, we won't be making this while you are here...unless you want to :)

We've been on a Mexican food kick, so we checked out four or five Mexican cuisine cookbooks last week so that we could try some new recipes. Tonight sounded like a good night for Spanish rice, and Aaron really wanted to try it, so we did. Measured the rice, fried it in oil, pureed tomatoes, garlic, onion, and three serrano peppers together in our (new) blender.

Yes, three serrano peppers.
The book called them "everyday peppers", and one recipe called for 5 of them for 3 cups of uncooked rice, so we figured three smallish ones would work for our recipe of 1.5 cups. We cooked the rice in the mixture, according to the recipe, and then sat down to enjoy our feast. One bite each and we realized that we might have overdone it a bit on the peppers.

It was quite spicy. Like, nose running, gulping milk, throat burny spicy. And both of us generally like spice - buying the hot salsa, pouring on the green sauce at Mexican restaurants. So we kept eating it - slowly. And drank half a gallon of milk between us.

We just opened this at dinner.
So this is a cautionary tale; you can always add more peppers. Once you blend them into goo, it's really hard to take them out. Though I do feel internally cleansed, and my sinuses feel nice and fresh...I think next time we'll only use two.
Oh, Marina, we won't be making this while you are here...unless you want to :)

3 Comments:
I LOVE spanish rice!! But when I held serrano peppers in my hand at the market stall, my skin would turn red and start to burn. Those puppies are strong. (Although unless the scale in the picture is off, the ones I sold in the market stall were thinner and shorter; I guess everything is bigger in America! :) )
I like the picture of Aaron cozying up to the pepper.
Mexican food is awesome, but not as awesome as bikes. Or beer.
Post a Comment
<< Home